Mar 14, 2014

Garlic buns

I was always tempted by the pins related to breads and wondered if I could make bread in my convection microwave. One day while looking for microwave cooking I stumbled upon this  blog ...  http://www.cakesandmore.in/2013/03/how-to-use-convection-microwave-for_7.html       and yay! now  I had to try something  ...I decided to try garlic buns given here...
http://www.cakesandmore.in/2013/03/how-to-use-convection-microwave-for_7.html (similar other recipes on my pinterest board - http://www.pinterest.com/deepalisharma/tasty-bites/)

The picture of the garlic pull apart buns was too tempting to have a try at it and recipe also seemed easy, but ugghhh yeast, how to get that particular gloripan yeast..well I looked for the yeast packet I had bought some time back with the idea of making home baked fresh bread..and it was some wonder yeast..but this was not letting my spirits down! Any ways..I decided I will go ahead with whatever I have..and here is what I did...



What I used for bread-
Maida (plain flour)- 3 cups
warm water- 1 cup
dry active yeast- 1 tbspn
salt 1 tspn
sugar 2 tspns
olive oil 2 tbspns
1 egg + 1 tspn milk for basting the buns before baking
sesame seeds- 1 1/2 tbspn

For the filling I mixed 5-6 large cloves of crushed garlics in 50 gms salted butter, added 3tbspns chopped coriander, 1/2 tspn chilli flakes and 1/2 tspn pepper.
Working-

  • So I went by the recipe step by step..it was my first chance, even if I decided to experiment with some other yeast-  warmed water for half a minute in microwave, added sugar and then yeast.
  • Since it was pretty cold in Delhi , I kept this mixture in preheated microwave (4 mins convection at  180 deg centigrade) for 30 mins till the mixture got frothy. I  found this idea of using preheated oven for frothing yeast and poofing dough to be too good. 
  • To the mixture I added maida and salt and mixed well. Added olive oil and kneaded it for 5 mins.
  • I kept the dough in a glass bowl, covered it with cling film and placed it back in my preheated oven for around 2 hours till the dough doubled in size. It took too long for me- may be it was too cold or the yeast, so the time may vary for you. Keep a watch on the dough.
  • When the dough was ready I first made the filling by mixing all the ingredients.
  • I took out the dough and knocked down to remove locked air. I dusted the table top with plain flour and rolled the dough into  less than half an inch thickness sheet (oval).
  • Applied little more than half of the garlic filling on the sheet and rolled the sheet from one end to another (smaller side).
  • Using a thread I cut around eight no.  1"long rolls and placed them in a round pan.
  • I then applied the leftover garlic mixture on top and sprinkled sesame seeds on top.
  • Covered the pan with cling foil and kept in in preheated oven for poofing again for around two hours till the buns doubled in size.
  • Preheated the oven at convection for ten minutes again .
  • Applied the egg basting  and kept the buns for baking for 35 mins on convection at 180 degree Centigrade.
  • The freshly baked buns smelled so good and tasted yummy..

A MUST TRY if you want to try something in breads...

No comments:

Post a Comment