Puttu with Kadala curry ( Kadala curry is ideally made with brown chana but I used kabuli chana)
While kadala kurry is made with brown chana or kadala, I decided to use kabuli chane as I had puttu with white kabuli chole in Lakshwadeep and we liked it that way, infact I was a little wary if my folks will cherish brown chana...you can use either...
To make puttu you need-
Rice rava- 3 cups
grated coconut - 1 cup
curd- 1/2 cup (nowhere it was mentioned to use curd but I used it and it came out well)
salt to taste
- To make puttu, add curd (optional) and very little water till the flour resembles breadcrumbs...when you tighten it in your fist, it should take shape.
- Let the flour soak for 30 mins to one hour and if you find the flour too dry, sprinkle some water. I added a little more water in the first go and had the right thing after an hour.
- Let water boil in puttu maker (or cooker, if you use the one used over cooker), and fix the lower perforated disc well. Add alternate layers of grated coconut (1/4 inch) and puttu flour (11/2 inch) till the rim (leave an inch from top).
- Steam the puttus for ten minutes and when it is cooked push it using a wooden stick from the bottom on the serving dish.
To make kadala curry-
Brown chana (1 1/2 cups) or kabuli chana (white chick peas)- 1 1/4 cup (soak overnight for 8 hrs)
Add salt and water to kabuli chana and pressure cook it for four whistles on high flame and ten minutes on low flame.
For curry take-
Shalots 8-9 or one large onion
tomatoes- 2 medium (make a paste)
Dry red chilly- 2 nos
ginger paste- 1 tspn (you can use garlic also)
garam masala- 1 tspn
grated coconut- 1/2 cup
coriander seeds- 1 tbspn
cinnamon- 1 inch piece
coriander powder- 1 tbspn
red chilly powder- 1 tspn
turmeric- 1 tspn
mustard seeds- 1 tspn
heeng (asofoetida)- pinch
oil- 3-4 tbspn
- Heat one tbspn oil and add garlic paste, 4-5 shallots cut into half (or slices of half medium sized onion), stir for a minute or two. Add coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon and roast all till onions are pink. Add grated coconut and roast for 2-3 mins.
- Add garam masala and take off the flame. Grind it in mixer with some water.
- For tempering- heat 3 tbspns oil, add mustard seeds, asofoetida, curry leaves and 4-5 shallots (onion). Cook till golden brown and then add tomato paste. Cook till the paste leaves oil and then add coriander powder, chilly powder and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute, add the coconut paste prepared above and salt , mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add boiled chana and mix well and cook for 10 mins till required consistency.
- Serve with hot puttu.