Bhaji is a mixed veg curry which is served with Pav (white bread/ bun). Pav are cut in two, toasted on a flat pan with butter and served hot with hot bhaji.
Things you need to make Bhaji: (six servings)
Onion : 2 medium sized grinded
garlic: 5-6 flakes finely chopped/ meshed
green chilly: 1 large chopped
ginger : 1" grated.
Tomatoes: 4-5 medium sized (pureed)
Potatoes (boiled and meshed): 5-6 medium sized
Capsicum, peas, carrot, french beans, cauliflower(all chopped): 1 cup each
Bottle guard, white raddish (chopped) : 1 cup each (optional)
Pavbhaji masala: 4 tbspn
dry mango powder: 1 tspn
black salt: 1tbpn
salt: to taste
oil: 5-6 tbspn
butter: 100 gms.
Onion: 1 chopped for garnishing.
green coriander: 1/2 cup chopped for garnishing
Lemon: 1 cut in two pieces.
- Mix all the chopped vegetables and boil them for a whistle in pressure cooker or cook covered in a pan with water. Make sure they are cooked but don't mesh.
- Heat oil, add ginger, garlic and green chilly. Saute for a minute.
- Add onion paste and cook till golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook till the masala leaves oil.
- Add 3 tbspn pav bhaji masala, dry mango powder and saute for a minute.
- Add the boiled vegetables, salt, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 4-5 cups of water and let the bhaji simmer for 10-15 minutes, till you get the desired consistency. The more the bhaji simmers on low heat, tastier it gets.
- Add black salt, 2-3 tbspn butter (optional)
- For tempering: heat 2-3 tbspn butter in a thick pan, add 1 tbspn pav bhaji masala and top it on bhaji.
- Mix the tempering well, transfer in serving dish and garnish it with chopped coriander, spate of butter.
- Serve bhaji with toated pav.
- Chopped onion and lemon juice are topped on bhaji suiting to individual taste.