I am jotting down another recipe for vrat/fast. Sama ke chawal or mordhan are white round grains, I was told by mom that they are seeds of some grass. Cooked like upma with potatoes and peanuts, this recipe is very light to eat, as compared to sago/sabudana.
Sama ke chawal: 1 cup
Peanuts (roasted, peeled and coarsely crushed): 1/3 cup
green chilly: 1 chopped
potato (chopped): 1 medium sized
tomato (chopped): 1 medium sized
grated ginger: 1 tspn
curry leaves: 8-10
Cumin seeds (Jeera): 1/2 tspn
garam masala: 1/2 tspn
Fresh coriander chopped: 1/4 cup
Oil 2 tbspn
1. Roast sama ke chawal for 3-4 mins on low heat in a thick bottomed pan.
2. Heat oil in thick bottomed pan.
3. Add Cumin seeds, green chillies, curry leaves and ginger. Saute for half a minute, add potatoes and cook uncovered till they are crispy golden brown. Add tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add sama ke chawal, mix well. Add two cups hot water, mix and cook covered on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
5. Open, add peanuts, garam masala, half of chopped coriander and mix well. Cook covered for 2-3 minutes till all water is absorbed.
6. Garnish it with chopped coriander, can add lemon juice and serve hot with green chutney and curd.
(You can also add other vegetables like chopped beans, carrot, cauliflower, cabbage and capsicum)