Oct 3, 2010

Sambhar

I make sambhar in 4 different ways. This one is different because it uses two diff types of dals (pulses) and really tastes different and good. I always serve my guests with this variety as it is different..
I must thank my Mami Kalpana who is a very good cook to have taught me this. I always look forward to her dishes when ever I visit Bhopal my native town.



Things you need: (6 people)
Masoor dal (split red lentil): 3/4 cup
Arhar dal (split red gram): 3/4 cup
Chopped veggies (bottle guard, french beans, carrot, lady finger, white raddish, brinjal): 1 1/2 cup
Onion: 1 large, cut length wise

garlic: 4-5 cloves (chopped)
Dry red chillies: 3-4

Whole coriander seeds: 10-15
Mustard seeds: 1 tspn
Hing (asofoetida): 2 pinch
Oil: 3-4 tbspn
tamarind paste: 2 tspn or extract of 1" ball of tamarind
Sambhar masala: 4 tbspn (I prefer Everest brand for this preparation)
Fresh sambhar masala: blend one 2' piece of fresh coconut with 2 tbspn roasted bengal gram dal, 1' piece of ginger and 1 green chilly.

What next:
Wash the lentils together and take one whistle in pressure cooker. Open, add the chopped vegetables and again cook it for one whistle. Add salt.
Heat Oil. Add mustard seeds, garlic, curry leaves, coriander seeds, red chillies in order. Add onion and cook till brown. Add fresh sambhar masala saute for a minute. Add sambhar powder and saute for a minute. Add tamarind paste, salt, 1 cup water and let the masala boil. Add boiled lentil and vegetables and water to get desired consistency. Give it a boil, simmer it for 5-8 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment