Mar 20, 2011

Chane di daal ke pakode

This is my Holi recipe.. I invariably make it on every holi…for it is a good serving to the Holi visitors....

  • Soak 2 cups of chana dal in water overnight or  for 4-5 hours.
  • Grind it with a pinch of heeng.
  • Add finely chopped onion (1 cup), sabot dhania (2 tspn), grated ginger (1” shoot), chopped green chillies (two), Coriander powder (2 tspn), garam masala (1 tspn), chopped green coriander (1/4 cup). Add salt to taste, soda (1 tsp) and mix well. 
  • Deep fry pakodas of 1” size on high flame. 

But today I tried it differently- mixed spinach to make vada (cutlet) and it worked well. Heres what I did:


  • Took 1 1/4  cup chana dal (soaked it overnight).
  • Kept aside two tb spoon soaked dal and grinded rest of the dal with a pinch of heeng (asofoetifa). (avoid adding any additional water)
  • To this paste I added the coarse dal that I had kept aside, 1 cup chopped spinach, 1 onion chopped longitudinally, 4-5 chopped garlic flakes, 1 tspn garam masala, 2 tbspn chopped coriander, 2 tspn coriander powder,  2 tspn coriander seeds.
  • I added two tspn besan (gram flour) to make the paste tough so that vadas can be made.
  • Made vadas (cutlets) and deep fry them.
  • Serve it with green chutney, curd chutney and tomato sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Nice idea! :) was looking for sth like this...thanks!! :-)

    ReplyDelete