milk: 1 1/4 cup
sugar: 1/2 cup
vanilla essence: 3-4 drops
- Heat 2tspn sugar in non stick pan stirring continuously. The sugar will melt. When it turns brown and the bubbles start coming take it off from fire and shift it to aluminium or steel mould.
- Keep this caramel in freezer for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs with beater, add remaining sugar and warm milk and beat it again.
- Strain the mixture to remove egg threads.
- Add essence and mix it well.
- Pour it in the mould over caramel.
- Cover the vessel with tin foil, make some fine holes on the foil for steam to escape.
- Steam the custard in pressure cooker without placing weight (whistle) for 20 mins on slow flame. (Put 2 cup water in the cooker and heat it till it starts steaming. Place a hollow ring at the bottom and then place the mould. Close the lid and let it steam for 20 mins. Preferably take a deeper mould).
- After the pressure cooker cools, remove the mould from pressure cooker and take off the foil. Use a knife and gently nudge the custard sticking to the mould walls.
- Keep the serving plate or dish on mould's top. Invert the mould quickly so that the custard tranfers to the dish with caramel on top.
- Chill it for 1-2 hours and serve.